My thoughts confirmed.... about 13.10

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 19:55:06 UTC 2014

On 10 April 2014 18:12, c. marlow <chris at marlows.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 17:29 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 10 April 2014 16:57, c. marlow <chris at marlows.org> wrote:
>> > I just googled my issue and it DOES look like 13.10 does have a memory
>> > leak issue and the only thing you can do when it gets up real high is
>> > either log off and back on to get it down from 1.1 gig back to 400 mb or
>> > go and kill gnome-session and when it takes you back to the log in
>> > screen just sign back in.... or when I get done just log off everytime
>> > and sign in when im ready to get back on the computer
>> >
>> > ugh......... just my luck I should of installed 13.04 or 12.04
>>
>> I have not seen any such issues.  Is there a bug report for this?
>> Does the system monitor show that a particular app is using lots of memory?
>>
>> You could always try 14.04.  Not much point installing 13.10 at the
>> moment anyway when the next version is due any day.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> This was taken this morning Colin, I left NOTHING open... I went to bed
> forgot to put pc in standby and just had turned the monitor off. I woke
> up around 2 am and saw this.
>
> http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac69/CMAR606/UBUNTU/damnunity_zps86c07b3b.png

It is using less than half of the available RAM and virtually no swap.
 That is probably nothing to worry about.  Linux will use available
RAM for disk buffers and so on when it can in order to speed up the
system.  If that is what is happening then the memory will be freed up
if it is required.

If there were a significant memory leak then you would probably the
swap usage go up.

Next time it happens run top in a terminal and post the two lines
showing the memory usage.

Colin