upgrade solves other issues?

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Tue Apr 8 09:44:10 UTC 2014

On 04/08/2014 12:45 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 7 April 2014 21:11, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
>> I am having a problem whereby gcc and other low level programs cannot be
>> upgraded (even by root).  I have written about this before with varying
>> computer and "reinstall the operating system", as Microsoft says.  I will
>> not know what programs I have added, written, etc. over the years that will
>> be lost.  Will upgrading to 14.04 solve this issue?
>
> That rather depends on what the problem you currently have is.  Remind
> us of the problem and someone may be able to answer.
>
> Colin
>

>> Also what directories will be left alone?
>>
>> John
It started when I was noticing when I did Ubuntu updates, there were
base updates (binutils) that I was unable to select.  After a while of
no luck, I gave up (computer was working ok).

Then I tried to install Pure Basic.  It would not install.  It creates
assembler code (i think), then compiles it into an executable.  This
would not work because it uses gcc or an associated computer.  I went on
this list and this is the last message (most complete) that I got in
response to various executions I ran:

On 03/15/2014 05:26 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
 > On 14 March 2014 23:20, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net>
wrote:
 >> It seems that my problem has to do with "held" files (from synaptic)
but I
 >> cannot determine which files are "held" so I can delete them.
 >
 > I Am aware that Synaptic was my own suggestion - but if you try
 > from the shell with apt-get, then you can fairly easily copy-and-paste
 > the errors here...

I went to the site you suggested.  It seems that others have had the
same issue, but it has not
been resolved.  It seems that this is where the Ubuntu staff should step
in.  I appreciate your stepping
back into the confusion.  I am almost ready for the microsoft "reinstall
the operating system" solution.

below is a synaptic error message after trying to "fix broken packages"

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
caused by held packages.

E: Unable to correct dependencies

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
caused by held packages.

Below is an apt-get error message after running apt-get build-essential:
  build-essential : Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be
installed
                    Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be
installed

It seems that the program knows what messages are "held" but is not
showing them,
nor is it showing the command to see them (often done).

If I try to delete gcc, it want to delete a lot of libraries that are
associated with gcc, and therefore,
without those libraries, about 100 valid programs will be deleted
because if dependencies.

It seems like there is a old version of gcc on the computer which is
causing this chain of events.
I tried to manually remove gcc, but could not (as root, I did not have
permission).

By the way, for several months, whenever an upgrade came along, the
Ubuntu base section
had binutils, and assembler listed but were unchecked.  It would not
allow me to check them.

I am also getting hundreds of errors on boot each day, ever since I
turned on the display of the
initial programs.  The errors reference "fd 7" and bad directory or file
name.  The normal execution
of the system does not seem to be effected (libreoffice, thunderbird,
firefox, printing)

tia, John