Sharing a USB printer in 12.04 - broken?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Apr 4 11:04:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 01:36:19PM -0700, Eric Izoita wrote:
> On 04/03/2014 11:43 AM, rikona wrote:
> >I installed a USB printer in 12.04, but I don't seem to be able to
> >share it with Win boxes. Prints OK on the 12.04 box. I saw a comment
> >on the net that USB printer sharing with Win is broken in 12.04, and
> >won't be fixed. Is that true? If not, how does one get that to happen?
> >Anyone here actually doing that in 12.04?
> >
> >Considering a net prn adapter as a workaround. Is this the best way to
> >go?
> >
> >thanks,
> >
> >  rikona
> >

> How are you trying to share the printer? Have you tried CUPS with
> the web interface? I've found that works very well for
> cross-platform by connecting to the URL of the printer from Windows.
> I.E http://192.168.99.240:631/printers/Laser_Printer
> Also nice because you don't need specific drivers on the client
> machine, CUPS will accept generic PS/PCL/whatever drivers.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread.)

I had no success getting a Windows 8 machine use our office printer
(which uses CUPS exported by an Ubuntu 12.04 server).  The problem is
with the printer driver -- Microsoft's Generic PostScript didn't work
(prints garbage, essentially - some lines are there, but text is missing
etc.).  The HP Color LaserJet 2800 (which matches the printer model)
emits two HP PCJL statements (to switch printer mode to PostScript)
that make CUPS assume this is a plain text file, resulting in a long
printout full of PostScript source code.

Advice appreciated.

Marius Gedminas
--
This host is a black hole at HTTP wavelengths. GETs go in, and nothing
comes out, not even Hawking radiation.