rsync progress

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 18:33:55 UTC 2013

So far I have almost never got any answers to anything I asked here, so
here is the next exciting question:

I have a script that runs rsync for backup from my internal drive to an
external one. It works great, but it would be nice to see the progress. It
doesn't necessarily need to be based on file size, I just want to get some
kind of hint what's going on.

So I searched around and ended up with something like this, just for
testing if it works:

LineCount=$(find /Some/Folder | wc -l)
rsync -anuv /Some/Folder /media/Backup/AnotherFolder/ | pv -l -e -p -s
${LineCount}

(pv – Pipe Viewer – needs to be installed first: apt-get install pv)

What happens in my case is that all those lines from rsync are scrolling
and the last line is:
100%

Not very useful information if you ask me.
I expected no lines scrolling from rsync, but only a ”progress bar” and the
progress in % displayed. What am I missing?