Ubuntu server remote file access

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Fri Sep 27 13:48:42 UTC 2013

>I've also heard of VPN but I know nothing about using it.

Simply put, a VPN connects your machine directly to the remote lan. It
would allow you to browse and edit the files on your server from outside the
lan, as you said. Openvpn is excellent for that, and is not too hard to set
up. There are many sites that tell you how.

SSH does allows access to files, but not in the same way. You would have to
copy the files to your PC first to use them. And having port 22 open invites
the world to attempt breaking into your server by trying to guess passwords.
If you use certs then it is safer.

I use a router to router VPN so that any computer on my lan can connect to
any computer on the remote lan. And I connect using ssh through the vpn when
needed, so that I don't have to open port 22 to the world.