Locally networked group-shared writable fileshare

Christian Jaeger chrjae at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 21:12:36 UTC 2013

Hi

I'm trying to find a solution for the following problem:

- I'm running Debian on my own machine.
- buddy has a Ubuntu machine, and a folder /home/HE/SAMBA that should be
accessible to me (but nothing else on his machine). Both he and I should be
able to write to this folder.

What I've tried:

- installed Samba and used the right-click-on-folder GUI filesharing thing
that the default filemanager in Unity offers. Didn't work for some reason.

- configured smbd manually, as (anonymous) passwordless guest share, and
mount -t cifs ... on my machine. Worked fine except each time me or he put
something into the share, I had to run chmod -Rh a+w /home/HE/SAMBA as
root. Now for some reason this broke recently and I can't write anything at
all anymore (not true: if I "touch foo", it says permission denied, but
creates "foo" nonetheless; but that's not enough to copy stuff there).
Also, I wanted to use a proper permission setup now, so I created a new
password-less user, added it to a group that he is also member of, chgrp'ed
all the files, chmod g+ws all the folders there, and added a mask setting
to smbd.conf so that through the sticky bit it would keep things writable
for both. But I just can't figure out how to log in as me now. (I added my
user to the file share, too, restarted smbd. No joy.)

Has anyone done this and could provide a recipe?

I wish there were a program to simply set this up with a few clicks...

Should I try NFS instead? Something else?

Thanks very much.

Christian.