more

Bahn, Nathan nathan.bahn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 20:18:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:21 PM, John R. Sowden
<jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
> On 09/19/2013 10:08 AM, Bahn, Nathan wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM, John R. Sowden
>> <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> alt f$ did not work.  I don't think it is a HD crash because the windows
>>> move, accept text, mouse moves, I can open freecell (no close icons, but
>>> can click on file, then quit to exit.  I think it is window manager
>>> related.
>>> I'll shut down come back up and respond.
>>>
>>> John
>>

>> I realize that this is possibly/probably an ignorant/stupid
>> suggestion, but what the hell.  Have you tried rebooting?
>
> per suggestion, I tried alt f4 to no avail, then I 'shut down' as I didn't
> know what was lurking in the shadows of ram, so I waited for the caps to
> discharge and did a cold start.  all is fine now.
>
> This has happened before.  My issue now was that I had nothing of importance
> in the windows, but there could have been a complicated calc sheet or
> something else, so I am looking for a solution.  I thought that linux was
> 'immune' to these types of issues.  Hopefully there is a command that I can
> execute from the cl to 'restart' the window manager, which might not kill
> the apps that I am running. Also I feel obligated to 'report' the issue so
> if a solution appears, others might read the solution.  By the way, this is
> why I use linux in my office, since the mid 1990s, but not for the employees
> (small bus) on a network  (they are still using wordstar, quattro pro,
> foxpro with code that I write, very efficiently, only one at a time.

Here is my $0.02:  If you want reliability, then go with Debian.  Or
LinuxMint Debian Edition.  (FWIW, I am now using LinuxMint.)
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html ,
http://www.libreoffice.org/ &
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument (Nathan Bahn)