Help can't login! <SOLVED>

Peter Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:28:17 UTC 2013

On 16/09/13 19:05, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 16 September 2013 19:02, William Scott Lockwood III
> <vladinator at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At which point the command likely fails to have the desired effect. if
>> pete is just a regular user, he's likely screwed. If pete is in
>> sudoers, he can preface that command with sudo, and it will then work,
>> though it won't get hidden files and directories. a better command
>> would be
>>
>> $ sudo chown -R pete:pete .
>>
>> which will get the current directory an all things below it
>> recursively, and will match hidden files.
> Ooh, good point. I'd missed both of those points. Well spotted and
> thanks for the correction.

Yay that's better back as me again!!

For anyone following this post here's what I did:

>From my new user I pressed <Alt F2> and run gksu nautilus, from that
file browser I went into my home folder (having viewed hidden files
<Ctrl h>) selected everything at the very bottom of the home folder that
started with an 'x' or 'X' cut and pasted it into a folder I had created
on my new users desktop!
Logout as new user and login as me again...

I am now wondering weather to put the files back 1 at a time but I think
this is a case of 'if it works leave alone' ;-)

Thanks to all for your help! wouldn't have got there without you!

Pete S