Help can't login!

Pete Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 20:36:34 UTC 2013

@google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
sent from my HTC.
On Sep 15, 2013 9:30 PM, "Bill Stanley" <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:

> On 09/15/2013 04:09 PM, Bahn, Nathan wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Pete Smout <smoutpete at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> @google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
>>> sent from my HTC.

>>> Tried that asks for my sudo passwd then back to prompt no other output!
>>> Thanks for your help
>>

> WS=> It sounds to me like your admin (sudo) password became corrupted.
Maybe you could boot up with a Live disk or a flash drive installation.
Once you have booted up, the sudo password is null.  Sudo will ask for the
root password but since you booted with a Live disk (or flash drive) just
press <ENTER>.    Then go to Users and Groups and try to reset the password
on your admin account.

> I don't know if this will work but I have used this method to run root
privilege programs and it worked for me.

Thanks for the idea but my credentials appear fine, I can log in to shell,
run 'root' things like sudo apt-get update without getting tripped up by
incorrect passwords!
I think (although I'm likely wrong!) That somehow lightdm is trying to log
me in as root, and it is falling against incorrect permissions, as I don't
log in as root normally reserve that for emergencies ;-)
Pete