running windows partition in ubuntu

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Sun Sep 15 16:52:39 UTC 2013

> I am not quite sure this can be done.  I have a dual boot server with xp
and ubuntu - each on their own drive.  is there any way to use virtual box
or something similar to run the xp OS a guest to ubuntu - that is already
installed on the other physical drive than ubuntu is installed?

I like to do things manually, but there is at least one utility to help you
as well:

"virt-p2v converts physical machines to run on KVM. virt-v2v converts
virtual machines from Xen and VMware hypervisors to run on KVM."

Luckily for you, Windows XP is a bit easier to move to new hardware, or in
this case, to virtual hardware. And there are a couple of ways to repair XP
if it fails to boot on the new hardware.