edge printing problem - maybe solved

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Fri Sep 13 02:55:04 UTC 2013

Hello Doug,

Thursday, September 12, 2013, 6:49:52 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 09/12/2013 07:40 PM, rikona wrote:
>> Hello rikona,
>>
>> Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:15:33 PM, rikona wrote:
>>
>>> Just did an update recently, and Kate has a printing problem - the
>>> edges of the paper are missing about half of each letter near the
>>> edge, all 4 sides. Before the update it was printing correctly - the
>>> whole letter was visible. It is something like a margin change, but
>>> I didn't do it. Gedit prints OK. Running Ub 12.04, but have several
>>> KDE apps installed, so may be KDE related. AFAICT, Kate doesn't have
>>> a margin setting. So, how can I fix this?
>>
>> There are a ton of things on the web re kate not keeping settings, but
>> I didn't see a fix for this. Finally decided to try hard coding the
>> too-small margins in katerc. That works, but we'll have to see - the
>> complaints were that changes get overwritten. If that happens, I'll
>> post it.

> /snip/

> I have noticed this in PCLOS. I don't know how long it's been going
> on--whether it's due to the latest update or what. (I only notice it on
> the left edge--I haven't noticed it on lines that were shrunk with
> "apply word wrap."And I usually leave some white space at top, anyway.
> If you have a fix, I'd appreciate it if you'd post it.

1 - go to the file katerc and create a backup file [just in case]
2 - edit katerc - there's a section 'margins' - I set all the margins to 6,
     which JUST allows the chrs to fully print and still keeps the margins
     small. You may have to play and find other numbers. [You need
     to do this with NO copies of kate running.] Save the file.
3 - fire up kate and try a test print...

--

 rikona