System Hijacked By XBMC

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 22:27:22 UTC 2013

On 09/12/2013 02:34 AM, Ernest Doub wrote:
> My wifes old HP Media Center PC running Ubuntu 12.10 seems to have been
> hijacked by XBMC.
> On bootup I get the normal first splash screen from the bios loader,
> then the purple background splash screen but it doesn't go to the normal
> Ubuntu screen with the loading indicators. Instead it goes to a black
> screen long enough for the monitor power saving to turn off the monitor
> and then comes up with XBMC [which looks very impressive on her 23" screen].
> I can't find any way out of this program so I am appealing to more
> competent authority for help or at least a point in the right
> direction.  I've tried a web search but come up with lots of
> golly-gosh-wow and very little information about how to get this
> wiz-bang media center to go away so she can write a letter or surf the web.
> I have no idea how she managed to get this installed on her system and
> am stuck as far as getting the lid pried open so I can get her back to
> her "normal" system and programs.
> Ed
> On the Mojave
Maybe do the ctrl/alt/f1 text login and "sudo apt-get purge xbmc*"
and "sudo update-grub". Wait for the gears to stop grinding and reboot.

I have only the xbmc-bin package installed. It shows up in multimedia. I
just tried it and it took up all three monitors straight out of the box!
Ha! I guess I better get to config'ing it. It IS slick though. Kinda
heavy on the CPU usage. When it is dedicated as a server, you can enable
infrared with an infrared detector, and use a remote from the couch to
play with it. And, any machine on your localnet is supposed to be able
to access it and stream audio, video and picture media. Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /