System Hijacked By XBMC

Ernest Doub hideserted at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 06:34:37 UTC 2013

My wifes old HP Media Center PC running Ubuntu 12.10 seems to have been
hijacked by XBMC.
On bootup I get the normal first splash screen from the bios loader, then
the purple background splash screen but it doesn't go to the normal Ubuntu
screen with the loading indicators. Instead it goes to a black screen long
enough for the monitor power saving to turn off the monitor and then comes
up with XBMC [which looks very impressive on her 23" screen].
I can't find any way out of this program so I am appealing to more
competent authority for help or at least a point in the right direction.
I've tried a web search but come up with lots of golly-gosh-wow and very
little information about how to get this wiz-bang media center to go away
so she can write a letter or surf the web.
I have no idea how she managed to get this installed on her system and am
stuck as far as getting the lid pried open so I can get her back to her
"normal" system and programs.
Ed
On the Mojave

- - - - -

- “I’m a born free, American woman, wife, mother, and citizen. And I’m
telling my government that you’ve forgotten your place…I’m not interested
in scoring political points. I want to protect and preserve the America
that I grew up in. The America that people cross oceans and risk their
lives to become a part of. And I’m terrified that it’s slipping away. Thank
you.” - Becky Garritson in testimony before the US Congress

- "Authority that can not be questioned is tyranny" - Sir Terry Pratchett

- If you are getting your news from social media, Comedy Central, or MTV -
you are already living in The Matrix. - - - - - *Nothing in the world is
more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.*
Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

- “If men are not governed by God, they will be ruled by tyrants.”  William
Penn, founder of Pennsylvania   - - - - - “The wicked walk on every side,
when the vilest men are exalted” (Psalm 12:8)“  - - - - -

Monster =  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP4tRUuqUY