Updates problem

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 03:39:14 UTC 2013

On 09/05/2013 05:34 AM, Pete Smout wrote:
> @google hope you enjoyed reading this, It had nothing to do with you!
> sent from my HTC.
> On Sep 5, 2013 10:29 AM, "Sanpreet Singh" <sany26.com at gmail.com
> <mailto:sany26.com at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Peter Nabbefeld
> <peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de <mailto:peter.nabbefeld at gmx.de>> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Hi all,
>  >>
>  >> today Ubuntu had a surprise for me:
>  >> It tells me, there are 3 updates available - but when I want to look
> on them, none is shown - why?
>  >>
>  >> Kind regards
>  >> Peter
>  >>
>  >> I believe that in Update Manager, under Settings there is a place to
> "tick" Show New Distribution Releases. Just "tick" (check it) it and it
> should then give you that option.
>  >>
>  >
>  > --
>  > Sanpreet Singh
>  > http://sanpreetsing100.blogspot.in/
>  >
>  > --
>  > ubuntu-users mailing list
>  > ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>  > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>  >
> Hi,
>
> I had the same thing and didn't install 'blank' updates just dismissed
> them!
> If they are important upgrades, security related, then I wonder how many
> others have done the same as me!
> Just a thought!

I think that a LOT of software goes into user space, but system stuff
like security updates require strict root permissions at some point,
like asking for your su password. The little desktop icon thingie never
seems to ask. But if I run synaptic, which does, the "other" packages
are installed. I dunno. It's above my paygrade. :) Ric

/https://linuxcounter.net/cert/44256.png /