Mate desktop for Saucy?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 12:45:05 UTC 2013

On 6 September 2013 13:27, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
> My current full-time desktop is Ubuntu 13.04 running Mate ( also have
> XFCE4, which was my standard before I installed Mate).
> I decided to install 13.10 in a VM to test it out. I love to see what is
> out there for the future. All I wanted to know is, is Mate available for
> 13.10 , if not, maybe when? Isn't 13.10 due out in October?

Yes, October.

Ubuntu does not support or package Maté (TTBOMK) so you are dependent
upon 3rd-party packagers. As such, it's anybody's guess when it will
appear... but I would not expect it until November, as Ubuntu releases
are usually at the end of April and October.

I have Xubuntu on one of my machine now (ATI has dropped support for
my GPU so I can no longer run the current version of Unity-based
Ubuntu -- to my considerable annoyance, as I *like* Unity.) Xubuntu is
fast and very customisable - it does a vertical taskbar quite well,
way better than GNOME 2 ever did.

(Cinnamon and GNOME 3 Classic don't do vertical panels at all, AFAICS.
At least GNOME 2 did it, albeit badly.)

However, I must admit, Xfce feels clunky and old-fashioned compared to
GNOME 2 and lacks functionality like locking items in place on panels.
I don't need that myself, whereas I do want a vertical panel with
horizontally-arranged controls on it, but for customer/client
deployment I would need the locking functionality.

So I guess I can understand wanting GNOME 2 back in the form of Maté
if one can't adapt to Unity.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884