Multiple SSIDs in AP mode

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Sep 5 21:05:26 UTC 2013

Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2013, at 8:04AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > AIUI you can do it with Atheros chipsets. With the iw command you
> > can
> > create additional interfaces (on the same channel obviously) and use
> > them with individual SSIDs. I haven't tried it though.
>
> Sorry, I meant to say ad-hoc mode. Are the Atheros chipsets compatible
> with that?

Well, I didn't know it, so I tried it with two atheros chipsets, AR2425
and AR7010+AR9287. At least with these chipsets it doesn't seem to work.
I could only create a single ad-hoc (ibss) interface with each of them.

I don't know about your application, but if you want to use two
simultaneous ad-hoc connections more often it might be an option to buy
two USB WLAN adapters. For the TL-WN821N I paid only about €15 some
years ago and I think the TL-WN721N is even cheaper. Both are using
Atheros chipsets for IEEE 802.11b/g/n. The advantage would be that you
can use two separate channels for the two links.

Nils