blocking web sites

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Thu Sep 5 06:20:31 UTC 2013

Hello Doug,

Tuesday, September 3, 2013, 11:15:51 AM, Doug wrote:

> On 09/03/2013 09:12 AM, Wes James wrote:
>> You could use iptables to block an outgoing ip address:
>>
>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-iptables-6-how-to-block-outgoing-access-to-selectedspecific-ip-address.html
>>
>> -wes
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM, rikona <rikona at sonic.net
>> <mailto:rikona at sonic.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     I am getting cookies in Opera 12 that I can't delete, and it is
>>     pi****g me off. Can I just block the site completely by simply
>>     entering the url in the hosts file? Haven't needed that in a long
>>     time, and still wondering if that's the best way to block sites in
>>     Ubuntu 12.04...
>>
>>       Thanks,
>>
>>      rikona
>>

> I may be missing something, but I think the OP wants to block
> *incoming* messages, not outgoing. I'd like to do that too--my trash
> bin overflows with stuff I have filtered (Thunderbird).

Actually, I'd like to block both incoming and outgoing messages from
the URL that is in the undeletable cookie. I know the URL, but there
may be many IP addresses associated with that URL, many of which I may
not know, so blocking a URL seems better than blocking IP addresses.

Also, I'd like to find a way to delete this cookie. Opera stores
cookies in a binary file and there does not seem to be the way to
single out this cookie and remove it from the file. And, I am unable
to edit this cookie in Opera either. From my point of view, a totally
obnoxious cookie! If anyone knows a way to delete it from Opera,
please let me know.

I would also like to know if using a hosts file is still a good way to
block a URL? It used to work well, but I seem to remember comments
that network manager does not work well with a hosts file. If I do put
a URL block in hosts, I want to be sure that it will work. Using
12.04.

Thanks,

 rikona