Probably stupid question, but

Patrick Asselman iceblink at seti.nl
Tue Sep 3 14:31:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-28 14:38, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 28 August 2013 02:44, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>> Insanity is in the eye of the beer holder, and to me, its
>> Network-Smangler
>> that is the insane software here.
>
> Again, it is you, Gene.
>
> Or, more specifically, it is your home network configuration.
>
> Again, as I have said before, you are doing weird nonstandard things
> and expecting them to work and when they don't you blame the
> software.
>
> Turn on DHCP like every other sane client network in the world these
> days and it will just work. You broke it because you broke your
> network. The software is fine.
>
> *You* have created these problems because you have disabled DHCP, as
> you have told us, and thus created a nonstandard network. *It* is
> what
> is broken, not Ubuntu.

I'm on Gene's side with this one, I have to admit.

The thing is called NetworkManager, not DHCP Manager. So it should work
with all network types, including static IP addresses.

And it should definately be intelligent enough to understand that if
someone has defined a static ip address for their machine, it should not
just blindly ignore it and go for DHCP. Maybe it could check first to
see if DHCP is available. Maybe it can still do its thing but in such a
way that the static IP address is kept as it was. I don't care what it
does, as long as it does not break network connectivity. And currently,
(or at least last time I checked), it does.

Best regards,
Patrick