Ubuntu instability

Grant Hardy granthardy at outlook.com
Sun Sep 1 22:32:41 UTC 2013

On Sep 1, 2013, at 8:24 AM, "Liam Proven" <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 31 August 2013 20:09, Grant Hardy <granthardy at outlook.com> wrote:
>> My primary
>> partition (with my Windows installation and data) is BitLocker protected,
>
> Ah. Oh dear. That might well be enough to completely screw the pooch,
> I'm afraid.

It certainly could have been a disaster, but I didn't give up and eventually found the solution to at least save my data. Here's what I did:
- Boot into WindowsPE, open a command prompt, then unlocked and suspended Bitlocker on the drive using the Manage-bde command line tool.
- Attempted to run an automatic repair and to refresh my PC from the Windows DVD; the latter operation failed to repair the bootloader, while the former operation failed completely. It's unclear to me why neither operation worked as, with BitLocker suspended, they clearly should have.
-At the end of the day, I decided to simply reinstall Windows using the unallocated space previously reserved for Ubuntu, but keep my old partition with my previous installation of Windows.
-Now all is fixed and I'm left with the task of copying my data from the old partition (which is still intact) over to the new partition, then delete the old partition. I have to reinstall my desktop apps, but at least my personal data is intact.

So I guess for now I'm going to say goodbye to Ubuntu, but I want to thank this list for being so helpful while I figure this out. You guys rock!

Cheers,

Grant