Ubuntu instability

pete smout psmouty at live.com
Sun Sep 1 09:44:14 UTC 2013

On 31/08/13 07:29, Colin Law wrote:
> On 30 August 2013 23:16, Grant Hardy <granthardy at outlook.com> wrote:
>> I’ve been really keen to try dual booting Ubuntu with my current operating
>> system, Windows 8. I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my Asus
>> netbook last week and hit immediate problems. I’m an Orca user, so I don’t
>> know whether that has something to do with it but it was extremely unstable.
>> Orca, as well as other built-in apps, crashed constantly right from the
>> first boot-up into the newly installed OS. I ended up booting into Windows,
>> deleting the Ubuntu partitions, and running the bootrec /fixmbr command to
>> fix the master boot record so as to boot directly into Windows. I posted a
>> message to the list and was advised to try Ubuntu on another machine since
>> they were aware of problems on some netbooks.
>
> I don't know, but is 12.04 LTS any better with Orca?  It may be that
> it is better to stick to LTS versions which have had more time for
> things to stabilise.
>
> Colin

Hi,

Firstly I am sorry you had no joy with bootrepair disk, it has worked
for me in the past....

I am no expert but if your grub (ubuntu bootloader) is still intact, if
from live media, you can update grub, to re-find your win boot loader

I believe the command is:

sudo update-grub

Regards

Peter Smout