Anyone interested in a "GNOME 2 look and feel" remix?

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Tue Oct 29 14:34:48 UTC 2013

On 10/29/2013 04:06 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 28 October 2013 11:39, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> GNOME seems to have an obsession with simplification to reduce code
> complexity and to make the interface as uncustomizable as possible.
> The latter's driven by a strong interest in their "brand" as if GNOME
> is a commercial product like Coke or Pepsi. I don't see how giving
> users a GUI option to disable bluetooth or accessibiility icons or
> move the clock is a big assault on the GNOME brand but they clearly
> do. There was a bug filed by a GNOME developer against an app where
> the GNOME developer was asking that app developer to disbale some
> functionality because it didn't fit in with the GNOME look. I've
> forgotten what the actual bug was but I think that had to do with
> indicators and the GNOME developer actually said at one point (more or
> less) "you have to choose whether you want to be a GNOME app or a
> Unity/KDE/... app"!

I just got started with 13.10 and this is certainly the case with
Nautilus.  To me removing the ability to have two panes removes the 1st
or 2d biggest reason to use a file manager in the first place.  I've
always looked for one with that ability starting in DOS to Amiga to OS/2
right up to Ubuntu. I've started to look for one to replace Nautilus now.

<snip>

Regards, JIm