xsane and simple-scan only working as root

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Oct 29 09:53:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 08:13:53PM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> Thanks for your hints. I noticed that the only device in /dev/usb/ was
> owned by the group "lp", and adding my user to "lp" in fact made scanning
> work. (This is a combined printer/scanner, so I guess that's the reason.)

Wow, I never even thought about this possibility.

I would file a bug about that.

Actually, we've got one of those printer/scanner/fax combo devices in
the office.  I plug it into my laptop, and scanning Just Works (or at
least used to before I upgraded to 13.10; haven't had the need to scan
since).

> Well, except that simple-scan exits with an error message along the lines
> of "stack smashing detected, exiting" unless running as root.

*headdesk*

Another bug?  Oh, joy.

> But, I don't
> care much as xsane works.

Marius Gedminas
--
Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.