Fwd: how to replace Ubuntu logos & brand-marks in custom distro ???

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Tue Oct 29 09:32:48 UTC 2013

Ric Moore wrote:
> On 10/28/2013 06:23 AM, Navdeep Singh Sidhu wrote:
>> hello friends,
>>
>> I was trying to create an ubuntu based distro in KDE and want to know
>> that is there any way to replace kubuntu & ubuntu logos or brand marks .
>> Like in kde startup menu has kubuntu's logo how can i replace all the
>> similar logos ?
>
> Is that ethical??

It's generally how derivatives of distributions are made; the components
of Ubuntu that come from Debian lose the Debian swirl, for example.

> You are going to take credit for someone else's work by merely slapping a
 > re-brand on it?

This is not the same thing as taking credit for their work; this is
creating a distinction and it's how almost every distro works - most are
derivatives of another, and all are rebranded. CentOS is identical to
RedHat bar the logos; it's not even trying to be anything but a clone
(with some exceptions).

 > I think you would have to submit an original work, that provides a
separate
 > and distinct difference/features for users to the powers that be, at
 > Canonical, to be > awarded some sort of official sanction to remove
 > logos.

On the contrary; you would need the permission of Canonical to go on
using them. This is, for example, the background to Debian's shipping of
'Iceweasel' rather than 'Firefox'; they'd need Mozilla's agreement
(which they are happy to give) to use the Firefox brand, and this is
against the DFSG.

--
Avi