Fwd: how to replace Ubuntu logos & brand-marks in custom distro ???

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 20:19:42 UTC 2013

On 28 October 2013 20:16, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is that ethical?? You are going to take credit for someone else's work by
> merely slapping a re-brand on it? Or, have you done such a massive re-work
> that it negates the original gift-debt from Kubuntu and/or Ubuntu to allow
> you to claim some sort of project ownership ?? Xubuntu can make such a
> claim. So can Kubuntu. I think you would have to submit an original work,
> that provides a separate and distinct difference/features for users to the
> powers that be, at Canonical, to be awarded some sort of official sanction
> to remove logos.

There is that, yes, but also, if you use Ubuntu in a commercial
software product that contains non-FOSS components, Canonical
/requests/ you to remove the branding. Simplicity Computers has had to
do this with Canonical's instructions as our Envelope front-end is
proprietary.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884