Ctrl+Alt minimises the active window.

Avi Greenbury lists at avi.co
Sat Oct 26 18:19:34 UTC 2013

Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Still didn't find it. Just to get it to work somewhat, I
> reconfigured all the shortcuts for cube rotation and grid plugin,
> replacing all Ctrl+Alt with Super and Shift+Ctrl+Alt with
> Shift+Super.

Glad it's working, even if it's a bit of a workaround.

> Seems like COmpiz for 12.04 is extremely buggy. I saw it mentioned in
> another thread back in 2012, and some of the bugs should be corrected
> by now, but those corrections are NOT implemented in Ubuntu 12.04, so
> why use a LTS?

Which bugs are these? Normally the comments subtly explain why any fixes
have not made it beyond a patch attached to a bugreport.

> I am not sure what to install instead, though. Mint with Maté seems
> like a good choice, but sooner or later I will probably want GTK+3.
> Cinnamon should then be a good choice, but it's said to be slow,
> even slower than Unity, and compiz is not supported (which I don't
> need, I just want it…).

Are you basically after a UI that looks like 2007, or do you have some
special requirements? Unity's not noticeably laggy here (this isn't a
*highly* specced laptop) and your use of compiz hints at a
graphically-capable machine anyway.

> Could work a lot better than it does on this one, because my
> graphic's card is blacklisted for Unity 3D use (I added some line in some
> configuration file to override that, though). Maybe that's why I
> have at least some of my problems… Well, way off topic, anyway… I
> guess I just like typing…

What's your graphics card? If it's one that's poorly supporting of/supported by Linux then you're likely to have problems whatever you use.

--
Avi