Ctrl+Alt minimises the active window.

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 18:07:49 UTC 2013

2013/10/26 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>

> On 26 October 2013 16:24, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2013/10/26 Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>

> >> Which Ubuntu desktop are you using?
> >>
> >> Colin
> >

> > Default (Unity), sorry for not mentioning it. Thought that saying just
> > Ubuntu would be enough (meaning ”not Kubuntu, Xubuntu etc.”), but yes, I
> > know I can install many different desktops in Ubuntu and select one at
> > login.
> > Some settings are modified in my case, like buttons in top panel of every
> > window rather than in the top panel of the whole desktop (closer to the
> > mouse pointer in most cases). Other than that, I don't remember exactly
> what
> > settings I changed, since I don't remember its original state…
>
> You are correct that it should be enough just to say Ubuntu, but it is
> not uncommon for people to ask questions about Ubuntu and eventually
> discover they are using Mate or something and neglected to mention it.
> Ctrl-Alt does not do anything on my 12.04 Unity.  I guess you have
> looked in System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Windows > Close
> Window, and in
> System Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts
>
> Otherwise I don't know.

Still didn't find it. Just to get it to work somewhat, I reconfigured all
the shortcuts for cube rotation and grid plugin, replacing all Ctrl+Alt
with Super and Shift+Ctrl+Alt with Shift+Super.
Seems like COmpiz for 12.04 is extremely buggy. I saw it mentioned in
another thread back in 2012, and some of the bugs should be corrected by
now, but those corrections are NOT implemented in Ubuntu 12.04, so why use
a LTS? To keep all bugs as long as possible? For example the bug that makes
the screen flicker every time the cube is rotated. Say that I rotate from
desktop 2 to desktop 1. The rotation goes fine, but shortly after desktop 1
appeared, desktop 2 i displayed again for maybe 0.1 s or so, then desktop 1
is displayed again, and this happens EVERY time I rotate the cube. Well,
way off topic now, but still. Ubuntu 12.04 has annoyed me a lot! I was
quite happy with Ubuntu 10.10, except that it was just too old. Everything
I installed required newer versions of this and that, so I was kind of
forced to install 12.04 or switch distribution… I am not sure what to
install instead, though. Mint with Maté seems like a good choice, but
sooner or later I will probably want GTK+3. Cinnamon should then be a good
choice, but it's said to be slow, even slower than Unity, and compiz is not
supported (which I don't need, I just want it…). I have tried LXDE which
sucked bad time, so did XFCE, so maybe I should just go back to Windows
again… ok, kidding, but still, I'm a bit confused here… Before deciding
anything I guess I should buy a new computer and install 12.04 on it. Could
work a lot better than it does on this one, because my graphic's card is
blacklisted for Unity 3D use (I added some line in some configuration file
to override that, though). Maybe that's why I have at least some of my
problems…
Well, way off topic, anyway… I guess I just like typing…

Johnny Rosenberg