Window 8 in efi mode and Ubuntu in legacy bios mode

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 17:26:53 UTC 2013

On 22 October 2013 17:53, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> I do not have installation media, I used Win8 to make the recovery dvd's,
> win 8 came on this laptop.

Right, that's what I thought you meant.

It's a real pain that manufacturers all want to save a couple of bucks
by not giving us install disks any more. >:(

> I didn't want to create confusion, I guess I was
> just focused on the end result.

No no, it's fine, not a problem, I just wanted to make sure we were
all on the same page.

>  If I screw up and make the laptop
> unboootable, the recovery dvd's should allow me to restore it to it's
> condition when I bought it. So I can start all over again, is that not true?

Yes, that's true.

My concern is that in your case, you might need to make the disk MBR
for Linux to dual-boot correctly, and if you do that, I think you will
erase all the partitions on it.

Then if you restore W8 from your DVDRs, then it will just restore it
back to GPT again and it will all have been for nothing!

> I think I mentioned this before but it probably got lost in the details. I disabled uefi and added
> nomodeset to grub. The only changes I have made to the HD was using Win8 to shrink the
> partition Win 8 occupies to create space for Ubuntu. Yes Win8 still boots.

OK. Again, I thought this but I just wanted to check.

And as I understand it, now, if you install Ubuntu, it just leaves you
with a black screen at boot-up?

On my Toshiba (*not* UEFI), if I use `nomodeset` then the screen
resolution comes up wrong and I can't change it back. Is that
happening on yours as well?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884