Updates for a not installed package?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 22 15:11:24 UTC 2013

On 22 October 2013 15:57, Shashank SVRSN <shashank16392 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Today the regular updates showed an update to 'distro-info-data' package.
> Reading the package description excited me that such a thing alreaady exists
> in my system.
>
> However when i typed 'distro-info', the termianl said --
>
> The program 'distro-info' is currently not installed. You can install it by
> typing:
> sudo apt-get install distro-info
>
> where
>
> 'apt-cache policy distro-info-data ' says--
>
> distro-info-data:
>   Installed: 0.13ubuntu0.2

Presumably something requires or required it.  Try
sudo apt-get autoremove
If that removes it then whatever it was that required it has been
removed (possibly distro-info was installed and then removed).

If not try
sudo apt-get remove -s distro-info-data
The -s says to simulate removing it but not actually do it.  You can
then see whether removing it forces the removal of anything else.  If
it just says it will remove that package then you can safely remove
it.

Colin