Accessing files on Android 4

Christian Jaeger chrjae at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 10:15:33 UTC 2013

Hi

On Ubuntu 12.04, accessing files on Android 4 wasn't working well out of
the box, and I installed Go-mtpfs and the Unity launcher script from [1].

[1]
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-mount-android-40-ubuntu-go-mtpfs.html

This worked well enough. Now I've created a separate Ubuntu 13.10 install.
Accessing Android 4 still doesn't work well out of the box (it mounts
automatically in Nautilus, allows me to delete and copy files, but nothing
else, double click to open doesn't work, Nautilus doesn't even show a
preview of images in their icons). [1] does not have .deb's for Ubuntu
13.10, so I followed the link to the original post at [2], which has given
me a working go-mtpfs command line tool that gives mounts that work as well
as on 12.04.

[2]
http://blog.itsbilal.com/2012/12/connect-an-android-4-0-phonetablet-to-ubuntu-the-reliable-way/

I've also created a (set of) custom script(s) that mounts the phone, starts
unison-gtk with a profile to synchronize it to/from a local folder, and
upon quitting unmounts it again. I can provide these if anyone's
interested. It's not perfect: synchronization from the computer to the
phone only works for deletions, not for new files or renames, as go-mtpfs
does not support renames (and unison seems to use rename even for creation
of new files).

My vague questions:

- why is there still no good out-of-the-box support for accessing Android 4
in Ubuntu 13.10?
- why is there no rename support either in go-mtpfs or Nautilus? Is this a
limitation of the phone, or of MTP?
- any suggestion on where to best spend efforts, if any?

Christian.