upgrade problem

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 00:51:53 UTC 2013

On 19 October 2013 00:34, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:
> well, that did it. when I ran purge, it came back and told me that there
> were files that were no longer needed, and to run autoremove. I did that
> also.  I thank you the two of you very much.

Excellent!

There's a set of cleanup commands that people do not often talk about.
The mantra to do an update of the whole OS from the command line is
well known:

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

But there is also a set of commands that clean up the APT caches and
so on and can save you a lot of disk space. In examples, I intersperse
them with a command to show the free disk space, so you can see what
saves the most:

sudo apt-get clean
df -h
sudo apt-get autoclean
df -h
sudo apt-get purge
df -h
sudo apt-get autoremove
df -h

You'll usually see that it's the "clean" command that gives you most
of the disk space back. I should have given you all 4 - sorry about
that. My mistake. :¬(

And when things won't work,

sudo apt-get install -f

... tries to fix the problems. If a long operation failed and crashed
out, often, `apt-get install -f` will clear up the damage. It's a good
one to remember.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884