Dual boot with Windows 8 on Toshiba failed

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Oct 10 16:35:50 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 10:05 AM, Wes James wrote:
> I had a user ask me to put linux on a laptop,  I put xubuntu 13.04 on,
> but had to disable uefi to boot in to xubuntu then enable uefi to boot
> in to win8.  If you just want ubuntu, try disabling uefi in the bios.
>
> -wes

/snip/

There must be some way to operate your Win 8 without uefi. I have an
older machine that has no uefi hardware at all. I have Win 8 installed
on one partition (only!)--sda1. sda2 is the second primary that has all
the secondary partitions on it, used for Linuxes. So Win 8 is using
_only one_ partition and does not, of course, need uefi. I'm sure that
Microsoft does not want you to know how to disable that uefi stuff,
but somewhere on the internet is someone who does know. I think you
should find him. (There may be a patch that you need to apply, but
that must exist somewhere also.)

Oh, and BTW, I had XP on sda1, and then I installed Windows 8 to sda1
_after_ Linux--something everybody tells you not to do, but I had Linux
already.  I had to execute redo mbr from a live Linux CD afterwards, and
everything works.

Just my 2ยข worth--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley