Dual boot with Windows 8 on Toshiba failed

Wes James comptekki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 14:23:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 October 2013 15:05, Wes James <comptekki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had a user ask me to put linux on a laptop,  I put xubuntu 13.04 on,
> but
> > had to disable uefi to boot in to xubuntu then enable uefi to boot in to
> > win8.  If you just want ubuntu, try disabling uefi in the bios.
>
> Do you mean, disable and re-enable SecureBoot?
>
> I do not want to quibble but I am concerned about your use of words.
>
> UEFI is a kind of firmware. It replaces a BIOS. You can't disable it -
> it is built into the computer. And you can't go into the BIOS on a
> computer with UEFI - it has no BIOS, it has UEFI instead.

You are right.   I think it was secureboot.  This laptop had several
settings and I had to fiddle around with them.  One was to boot in BIOS
mode - this must be some kind of bios emulation if uefi is the standard on
the laptops that have uefi  I think I left the uefi on, but had to toggle
the secureboot.

-wes