Installing Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 15:08:44 UTC 2013

On 8 October 2013 16:02, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
> Some followup.  GParted will not let me resize this partition.  It lists the
> maximum and minimum size as the same.  Any change I make in the New Size box
> is negated when I click on the Free space following box. The resize/move
> button never becomes clickable.
>
> If I click on Information it says the warning I reported above may be caused
> by a missing software package. It say it maybe ntfsprogs/ntfs-3g. I don't
> believe this is the case because if I try to resize one of the other ntfs
> partitions it will allow me to do so.
>
> I tried the check option but it wanted to check and repair.  I was afraid
> this might corrupt the file and prevent Win 8 from installing in the future
> if I wanted to do so.
>
> It looks like I will need to either (1)go through the Win 8 setup process
> and then install Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration or (2) wipe Win 8 and
> install Ubuntu as the only OS.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid (1) or (2) and just get Ubuntu
> installed the way the HD sits now?  I have read that wubi doesn't work with
> Win 8 and I would want to go that route anyway.

Hmmm. That's not good.

My suggestions would be, then, assuming that you still wish to avoid
booting and setting up that copy of W8 for now...

* Get hold of a Vista or Win7 system rescue CD - the image /used/ to
be freely downloadable

* Failing that, try an XP install CD, but ideally, SP3 - but I would
strongly recommend Vista or newer; NTFS versions change between
Windows revisions

* Boot from the Windows CD

* Go into the recovery console

* Try to DIR all the drives and see which ones are visible and mountable

* Run CHKDSK on them

* If it reports errors, then do CHKDSK /F

* Then shut down and restart cleanly and try Ubuntu and Gparted again

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884