Installing Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Oct 7 19:14:51 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 07:45 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 7 October 2013 03:24, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I know you can only have 4 primary partitions.
>
> Ah but hang on. You have listed 5 already. This should have clued you
> in that something was up, surely?

Which is why I came here seeking help.  The partition figures I posted
came from the Ubuntu installer screen.  Earlier when I had Ubuntu
running from the live dvd I looked at it with gpartd and all the
partitions I listed where displayed next to each other across the top of
the screen.

My goal is to leave Windows 8 on the disk, not setup and unactivated so
if I need it in the future I could just set it up.  Maybe that is not
even possible, I couldn't find any info about that by googling, but then
I am a poor googler.

> How big is the disk?

500 GB

Regards,  Jim