USB sound

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 7 14:31:46 UTC 2013

On 08/10/13 01:03, R Kimber wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 18:14:43 -0400
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
>>> All the relevant modules seem to be loaded OK, including snd_usb_audio.
>> Methinks if you had pavucontrol installed first, before taking a hammer
>> to everything, you might have had a chance to be listening to your
>> tunes. Even a complete purge doesn't always remove all config files.
>> Maybe look to see if you have any ~/.alsa config files/directories still
>> lying around, or ~/.asound. rm them with great prejudice. Something is
>> telling it not to work/start.
> I have pavucontrol installed.  I've got paulseaudio working again. The USB
> doesn't show up there.
>
>> It might be easier to re-install cleanly, which I have had to do from
>> some of my own 'hammering round pegs into square holes" sessions. Heh,
>> I've done that more than once! Or, just for grins, create a new user and
>> test my theory, unless you blew something up system wide.
> Yes a clean re-install is a last resort, though.
>
>> You might just go into /etc/init.d/ and type ./pulseaudio start
>>       to see what error messages you see. But, if you're like me, you
>> blew it up real good. :) Ric
> Probably :-)
>
> service pulseaudio start gives:-
>
> start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
> sender=":1.130" (uid=1000 pid=21386 comm="start pulseaudio ")
> interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)"
> requested_reply="0" destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1
> comm="/sbin/init")
>
> ps shows a pulseaudio process now.
>
> - Richard.

I've been trying to find out which chipset this device is using but
cannot find the answer.

However I came across this in the User Manual for it: the device is a
USB #2 device and will work with USB #1.1 but *NOT* USB #1. What USB
port do you have it connected to?

BC

--
"If you read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only
  think what everyone else is thinking." - Haruki Murakami