on returning to ubuntu 12.04 from windows the display mangnification goes larger

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 7 05:11:11 UTC 2013

On 07/10/13 06:17, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 10/06/2013 08:27 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 06/10/13 23:01, Don Parsons wrote:
>>> Ric,
>>> I should have mentioned that I had windows 7 removed from the ubuntu
>>> machine and it does not show a boot prompt on loading ubuntu. Is there
>>> an alternative?
>>> Thanks
>>> Don

>> Top posting.......a no-no..... Strike 1 1/2........
>>
>> By "boot prompt" I gather that you mean the grub boot menu, right?
>>
>> You won''t get one if you only have the one system installed but you can
>> get the menu by pressing SHIFT when the grub menu is supposed to appear.
> Isn't there a grub option to display it by default?

Only if you want to mess around with config files which grub2-mkconfig
uses to create the boot menu.

> Of course, to me, that would just slow down the boot process unless
> you are in debug mode with something broken wonky. Ric

If you only have the one operating system installed then not having the
menu displayed speeds things up but as I have 6 systems installed the
menu is invaluable :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor