Installing Ubuntu on a Toshiba laptop with Windows 8

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Oct 7 02:24:46 UTC 2013

In another thread I discovered that only the latest version of Ubuntu
would run on this machine.  So I decided to install the 13.10 beta.
After loading the live DVD I ran the install program.

Because I have not setup or activated Windows 8 the installer said it
detected no other OS's and offered to use the whole disk or do a manual
partition.  Since I want to keep Windows8 I choose manual.

Here is how the installer sees the hard drive:

Device         Type      Size      Used
/dev/sda
free space               1MB
/dev/sda1      ntfs      1073MB    375MB
/dev/sda2      efi       272MB     50MB
/dev/sda3      ntfs      134MB     14MB
/dev/sda4      ntfs      486755MB  unknown
/dev/sda5      ntfs      11870MB   10966MB
free space               0MB

Earlier when I looked at the disk with gpartd it put a warning on sda4
that said:  "Unable to read the contents of this file system! Because of
this some operations may be unavailable."

It's been a long time since I have done any manual partitioning so I am
feeling a little apprehensive.  I've read some howto's but many of them
are old and contradictory. Some of the newer ones say you must create
and efi partition for Ubuntu and others say to use the Windows one, so I
am getting confused.

I know you can only have 4 primary partitions.  I don't see anything
that tells me what those listed above are but I assume they are all
used. So I guess I need to shrink sda4 and then create 2 logical
partitions in the free space created?

I was thinking:

Windows = 136755MB
/       = 345000MB