rsync progress

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 2 03:53:40 UTC 2013

On 02/10/13 11:22, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/30/2013 12:59 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Patrick Asselman <iceblink at seti.nl
>> <mailto:iceblink at seti.nl>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 2013-09-28 20:33, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>>         So far I have almost never got any answers to anything I
>> asked here,
>>

>>     And adding this line will make sure that this improves, right?
>>

>> I'm not sure of the "official" stance about supporting this mailing
>> list, but in my opinion it is getting a bit less helpful every month.
>> I'm not certain of the cause, but I believe it's because the only way to
>> "police" problematic postings is to warn and/or ban after the fact.
>>
>> The discussion forums (the official Ubuntu ones as well as others) are
>> probably somewhat better places to discuss technical questions,
>> especially if they are consistently and conscientiously moderated.
>
> No, that tends to run experienced people off instead. The BEST way to
> get a response is to show that you have already done your own homework
> first and still come up empty. That makes the quest a challenge. Or,
> if someone just falls down and cries HELP ME! it usually doesn't.
> Doing some demonstrable personal due-diligence first is the key for
> successful support participation within the older hard line users.
>
> Plus, the problem has to be ~interesting~ and/or resolvable for anyone
> else to spend time with it. This is olde timey stuff and olde-timey
> list netiquette. Plus, your remark is just "glittering generalities"
> with no basis in fact.
>
> Help someone ...if you're that concerned. That is easy, with a bit of
> experience. But to Google up the answer for someone else? Nah.
> Personally I am not interested in doing that and thereby foster a
> dependency. I doubt anyone else here is either. Ric
>
> p/s You'll NEVER see me reply to a top poster either, but that's just me.

Well said.

As well, a top-poster gets two (2) chances with me. On the third
occasion they get relegated to the latrine bucket to join the rest of
the assholes I have come across in the past and their posts are no
longer visible to me.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.1 & kernel 3.11.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor