Acer Laptop gos into sleep mode-

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:15:27 UTC 2013

On 28 November 2013 02:48, John Schroer <ka8grh at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Acer 4730Z laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit .
> When I leave the laptop running for a meal, it goes into sleep mode.  When I
> return to the laptop, I press any keyto wake it up.  However, all it gives
> me is a blank screen, and i am forced tomdos physical power dwn.
> I've looked into the BIOS on bootup, but there are no power setting thre.
> What am I doing wrong, or what do I need to solve this issue.

There are several relevant settings here.  First in System Settings >
Brightness and Lock you can set whether the display should switch off
after a defined period of inactivity and whether you need to enter
your password to get it back (the Lock setting).  Additionally there
you can specify whether you need to enter your password on a restart
after Suspend (that is the computer sleeping, which is not the same as
the turning the screen off).  Then in System Settings > Power you can
set whether the machine should suspend after a period of inactivity.

>From your description it sounds as if it is suspending (usually there
is a blinking led to indicate this) but is not correctly recovering
from the suspend.

Colin