getaddrinfo failed - Name or service not known

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 18:06:34 UTC 2013

Hi all

I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 on i386.

I'm new to Ubuntu but an advance user in FreeBSD.

I'm trying to run a service (aka daemon) on Ubuntu and getaddrinfo(3) fails with the following message: Name or service not known

This service runs chrooted.

I have only following in my chroot/etc directory:
localtime  protocols  services

The TCP service I want run is available in the chroot/etc/services.

When this service run on FreeBSD, the devfs is mounted on chroot/dev but not on Ubuntu.

In fact, how to mount the devfs on chroot/dev ?

cat /etc/resolv.conf shows:
nameserver 127.0.1.1

Firefox can browse well. On command line ping and dig resolves to the server I try to connect.

I don't understand why the getaddrinfo(3) still fail. On FreeBSD its works fine.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Unga