scrambled desktops - again, and again, and again

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Mon Nov 18 12:59:36 UTC 2013

>Which logs might give useful info?
>
>Many thanks for a fix...

The first thing I would do is check your hard drive's SMART info to see if
your hard drive is failing.

Start by finding your drives with the command parted:

sudo parted -l

Model: ATA ST9320423AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

This shows I have a Disk device of '/dev/sda' . Find the Disk devices for
your system, (there may be more than one drive) then go to pastebin.com and
paste the output of the following command for each drive:

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb

etc.

Then reply here with the pastebin url you are given to share.