cdrecord syntax

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 21:17:27 UTC 2013

2013/11/16 Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>

> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > Trying to burn three files with cdrecord. They are wav files, which
> > shouldn't matter since I'm burning a DATA CD, not an AUDIO CD.
> >
> > Here's what I tried:
> >
> > $ cdrecord -dao dev=/dev/sr0 -data File1.wav File2.wav File3.wav
> [...]
> > wodim: Inappropriate audio coding in 'File1.wav'.
> > $
> >
> > It's that ”Inappropriate audio coding” message that bothers me. Why
> > does it even care about the audio coding? I'm trying to burn a DATA
> > cd here. The file is a 24 bit 44.1 kHz wav file, but that shouldn't
> > matter for a data cd.
> >
> > So obviously it thinks I'm trying to burn an Audio cd, right? So how
> > to I force it to burn a Data cd?
>
> If you want to burn a data CD you should first create an iso image with
> mkisofs. But why don't you just use a GUI tool like k3b or whatever
> comes with Unity? It would be much easier that way.

Brasero comes with Unity. There are a lot of things I could do, but that
wasn't what I asked.
I'm not sure why it is important why I ask a question. Maybe I just want to
learn? Maybe there are hundreds of reasons, maybe there are none what so
ever. Why does this matter?
But I'm going to try to answer anyway; I don't want to be rude or anything…
:P

I work with a project that needs a certain task to be done over and over
again, exactly the same way. Instead of opening Brasero, drag files and so
on, I only want to right click the files in Nautilus, click Nautilus
Actions and start my script from there. The script should then just do its
work: Look if there is a cd-r/rw in the cd tray and if it's empty. If
empty, find out if it is a cd-rw. If so, erase it (without asking any
questions) and burn the selected files to it. With Brasero (or k3b or
Gnomebaker or whatever) it would be a lot more work. For instance such a
thing as waiting for the stupid application to start…

I doubt that it will be ”easier” to do what I want with Brasero or k3b. How
can it be easier than highlighting a few files in a folder, then do one
right click and two left clicks for the whole work to be done? Also, I
prefer ”faster” over ”easier”. Speed matters.
My script will have a (simple) graphical user interface too, by the way.
Error messages and things like that will be displayed using yad (a zenity
fork). If I ever get finished with that script, that is. At least I started…

Another reason for asking the question is that when I try something and
that fails, I want to know why and I want to make it work. I simply get
interested in the problem and I want to see it resolved somehow. Sometimes
I need help for that to happen, I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, you say that I need to make an ISO first. So, when I have done
that, do I still need ”-data”? If not, what is it for?

Thanks for replying!

Johnny Rosenberg