Ubuntu Recommended Package Manager (was Re: gnome-keyring: upgrade/downgrade/upgrade/...)

Kenneth Jacker khj at be.cs.appstate.edu
Tue Nov 12 17:02:45 UTC 2013

  mg> Aptitude is not the recommended package manager for Ubuntu.

Hmmm, I didn't know that ... which is?  apt-get?

Being midway between a purely CLI (e.g., 'apt-get', 'dpkg', ...) and a
GUI (e.g, 'synaptic') makes 'aptitude' appealing to me.

I've used it for years without much trouble.

  mg> I'm not sure why, but my personal experience with it was
  mg> definitely poorer than dealing with plain old apt-get.

YMMV!  What I like, among other things, is the ability to "locate"
packages that match search strings, showing me (after a `g') what it
wants to do, etc.

  -Kenneth