Nvidia card DVI out to HDMI TV

Pete Smout smoutpete at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 15:01:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a friend using (X)Ubuntu 13.04 and he is having trouble
connecting it to his TV screen as a dual monitor!

He has a Nvidia 8600 card with VGA & DVI out on the card, the VGA goes
to his normal monitor (LCD 19" wide screen generic) and the idea was to
connect to the TV using DVI to HDMI but the TV is not recognised by
Ubuntu, having googled about for a while it seems that he needs to
update the graphics  driver to 319.49 to get multi-head support? is this
correct?? IIRC 10.04 using the 173 driver worked out of the box! This
seems to be a regression not progress!

Having followed the instructions to get the 319 driver and install it
(found on Nvidia site) APC mismatch at boot as the kernel is still
looking for the 310 modules! (certain I'm missing a command to update
somehow!)
so we removed the 319 driver again and  back to square 1!
Note we have also tried the 'Nouveau' driver this is exactly the same!

All the docs seem to assume that the second screen is recognised either
by arandr or the display settings, but only the one display is shown any
one any ideas how to get the other one shown? xrandr from terminal shows
the default screen and HDMI as being 'Disconnected'

I cannot find a xorg.conf in /etc/X11 , some sites say make one! Is it
needed? If I made one would it be loaded if 'x' is not looking for it?

Would Mir or an upgrade to 13.10 fix it? (I have tried Mir on my lappy
[Intel card] and found it buggy still)

Thanks in advance

Peter Smout