dual booting Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 7

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 27 00:11:40 UTC 2013

On 26 May 2013 22:25, Gerhard Magnus <magnus at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> (I still need Windows because some people I collaborate with use Microsoft
> Word,

You know, Word runs really well under WINE. It is one of the flagship
apps. I use Word 97 under WINE all the time myself but newer versions
work well too - I just happen to own a full licensed copy of Word 97 &
it does all I need and more.

Failing that, install VirtualBox, load Windows XP Mode for Windows 7
(a free download from Microsoft.com) into it - there are instructions
online - and run your copy of WinWord under actual Windows in seamless
mode on your Ubuntu desktop.

Needing Word is /not/ a reason to dual-boot - at least, not if you are
having problems dual-booting.

I do dual boot myself, but I never use my Windows installs except when
Ubuntu has gone badly wrong during a version upgrade or occasionally
to reflash a BIOS. I certainly don't use it to run MS Office - there's
no need.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884