Why does every distribution upgrade remove xscreensaver?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed May 22 20:04:57 UTC 2013

On 22 May 2013 11:23, Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
> I've been using xscreensaver for a few years, especially since the
> gnome-screensaver went all boring.  Every distribution upgrade on
> several machines for the past 2 (at least, but I think more) times has
> removed xscreensaver even though it was manually installed, so I have
> to reinstall it after the upgrade.  Is there any good reason for that?
> Any way to prevent it?

I can't be certain but I seem to remember that there is an issue with
compatibility with gnome-screensaver, which is installed by default.
Does installing xscreensaver uninstall the gnome one?  If so then
perhaps it is not possibly to keep it installed over an upgrade.
Something like that anyway.

Colin