I've Done A Really Bad Thing

Toshi Esumi ubuntu at toshiesumi.com
Tue May 21 03:35:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 16:00 -0500, John Graddy wrote:
> I'm afraid that I've done an incredibly stupid thing.  First. I removed
> IPV6 from my system.  Second, I upgraded to Ubuntu13.04. Third, I
> misplaced the instructions for deleting IPV6.  Now, I evidently need
> IPV6 and don't know how to reverse my past sins  can someone help me
> out?   I think that I removed ipV6 by changing a configuration file and
> then remaking Grub.

I don't know how you could disable ipV6 using grub when it boots up, and
although I haven't done it myself, my google seach found a way
(/etc/sysctl.conf) doing that. If you haven done this way, you just need
to undo it.
http://linuxpoison.blogspot.tw/2010/10/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu-linux.html

In the worst case (like me who don't have enough knowledge for a
sophisticated way) I would just reinstall it after making a backup, or
install it to another HD and attach the current HD after installation to
copy any files, just like I do every time when I upgrade a Linux system.
So I guess it's not an end of the world.

Toshi