locale errors during apt-get upgrades

Sabniveesu Shashank shashank16392 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 13:03:03 UTC 2013

Hi, I've been using Ubuntu since 11.10. Why do I get the following messages
whenever I update my packages? Why doesn't  Ubuntu itself set them by
default?

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
perl: warning: Setting locale failed
            LANGUAGE = (unset),
            LC_ALL = (unset)
            LANG = "en_IN.ISO8859-1"