switch users --> black screen, no response [in 12.04]

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sun May 19 17:04:32 UTC 2013

Hello Liam,

Saturday, May 18, 2013, 9:10:20 PM, Liam wrote:

> On 19 May 2013 03:55, "rikona" <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Liam,
>>
>> Saturday, May 18, 2013, 7:16:31 AM, Liam wrote:

>> > Should do, if the drive can be recovered. That is what fsck is for -
>> > fixing corrupted filesystems. It's its sole purpose.
>>
>> I probably did not phrase the question quite right. I am assuming that
>> the USB problem is that the final write to the disk did not happen,
>> and the disk has been left in an odd, nonfunctional state. The state
>> may be changed to something that allows the disk to operate, but will
>> the disk still be missing the data that was not written to the disk? I
>> don't understand journals, and perhaps this data could be recovered
>> when the disk is fixed. Is that possible?

> You will not miraculously get back data that had not been written yet, no.
> What you will get, barring disaster, is a sane, un-corrupted disk.

I was not looking for miracles. :-) Let's say I was working on a very
large data file, and had added to it over a 3-5 day period. When the
disk is 'fixed' is this file completely gone, or like it was before I
started working on it, or has part but not all of the new info, or
since it has been 4-5 hours since data was added, even might have the
latest data? What is that file most likely to look like?

--

 rikona