Dir gone - how to get it back?

tv.debian at googlemail.com tv.debian at googlemail.com
Wed May 15 10:56:23 UTC 2013

On 15/05/2013 11:38, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/15/2013 01:14 AM, rikona wrote:
>> I'm setting up a new 12.04 box. Just installed a few printers, which
>> seemed to go OK - BUT, after that, one of my home dirs is GONE! Was a
>> BIG one with about 1/3 of the stuff in home, and very important. Any
>> idea of why just that dir [apparently] disappeared? Better still, any
>> way to recover it? I can't see it via another admin account, or with
>> the CLI. New box, a few days of intensive work, and didn't do a backup
>> yet. :-(
>>
>> What's the best thing to do [not involving a large soothing glass of
>> Scotch :-) ]?
>
> Did you by any chance have it on it's own partition? (could but hope) so
> you need to only remount it? Ric

If you really can't find it :

_has it been renamed to something funny, try looking for it with
"ls -la"  in a console.

_Look for it with a disk usage tool (baobab, filelight) or from a
console with something like "du -a ~ 2> /dev/null | sort -rg | less"

_assume it's been deleted, try forensic tools like "extundelete",
"magicrescue" or "photorec" (from the "testdisc" package, good for many
file types, not only images). Look into the "/lost+found" folder.

If possible you should try to work from an image of the disk, or from
another system (live-cd possibly), because if the folder has been
deleted your system is probably overwriting it right now by reusing the
freed space...

Good luck.